Where learning is the heartbeat of our culture
The Board of Directors
The School’s constitution provides for a Board of Directors. Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar School is a company by limited guarantee and operates in accordance with the Corporations Act 2001 and Australian Charities and Not-for-Profits Commission Act 2012.
While the responsibility for the day-to-day management of the School rests with the Principal and her staff, the Board provides:
- Policy development and ongoing review
- Financial oversight
- Strategic direction and planning
- Risk management and oversight
- Guidance in relation to the development of the School’s property planning
- Approval of the appointment of the Principal and performance appraisals of the Principal
The Board composition reflects the diverse school community. All Board members have leadership experience; many have financial, legal, educational or marketing expertise. Some are current parents and some are past students or parents of past students. All share a collective aim of protecting and enhancing the welfare of the school, and an interest in contributing to the strategic direction of the school.
Under the constitution, the School Board will comprise no less than six and no more than 15 persons consisting of the following:
- At least six persons approved by the Baptist Union of Victoria.
- No more than five persons nominated by the School.
- One member nominated by the Old Strathconians Association.
- One member nominated by the School to represent the School Community groups.
- The President at the time of the Baptist Union of Victoria or a nominee of the President
The Board has approved a Statement of Alignment of values setting out how the School Board Directors’ values align with those of the Baptist Union of Victoria.
The Board has committees to assist in its work, comprising:
- The Nominations and Governance Committee
- The Finance and Risk Committee
- The Property Committee
- The Development Committee
- Chair: Mrs Jocelyn Furlan, BCom, LLB, FIPA, GAICD
- Deputy Chair: Ms Sonia Rendigs, B.PR & Org. Comn. (Marketing)
- Treasurer and Finance and Risk Committee Chair: Mr Adam Stolz, BCom Hons, GAICD, FIAA
- Property Chair: Mr Robert McFee, BArch, CertTech, Member ARB
- Development Chair: Mr Bruce Tobin, MA (Comn)
- Baptist Union Representative: Mr Michael Pittendrigh, B.Bus(Accounting), CA
- Old Strathconians Association Representative: Ms Laura Loftus, BCom(Accounting), LLB (Hons)
- Ex Officio: Mrs Marise McConaghy, BA, DipEd, ASDA, MACE, FAIM
- Business Manager and Company Secretary: Mr Jack Palumbo, BA.Acc, Certif Governance Practice & Corp Secretarial, Grad Cert Management of NFP Organisations, CPA, MBA
- Ms Rachel Butler, B.Envs (Landscape Arch), M.Urban Planning
- Mrs Elizabeth Rodriguez, B.Hosp & Mgmt, GAICD
Strathcona is a not-for-profit independent school. In its policies and practices, the School supports and promotes the principles and practice of Australian democracy, including a commitment to:
- Elected government
- The rule of law
- Equal rights for all before the law
- Freedom of religion
- Freedom of speech and association
- The values of openness and tolerance.
The Annual Report covers the previous academic year. It forms part of the School’s compliance with government requirements and standards, reporting on:
- Expenditure on and participation in professional development
- Student attendance and retention
- Parent, student and teacher satisfaction
- Results of NAPLAN testing for Years 3, 5, 7 and 9
- VCE results and post-school destinations
Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar School is registered by both the Commonwealth and State Governments to provide Primary, Secondary and VCE education services in Victoria. The Victorian Education and Training Reform Act 2006 sets minimum standards and other requirements for school registration. The process of validation of a school’s compliance is overseen by the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority. The School is subject to periodic registration renewal programs and various government legislative acquittals and compliance obligations.
The ELC is registered as a licensed provider of early education and kindergarten services by ACEQA and the Department of Education and Early Childhood in accordance with the Education and Care Services National Law Act 2010 and 2011 regulations.
Please find details of Strathcona’s Complaints and Grievances Policy here
Strathcona Baptist Girls Grammar School is an organisation committed to Child Protection and to the implementation of Childsafe policies and practices.