In our Senior School, we provide an extensive academic program and a broad range of activities and leadership opportunities so that every student has the opportunity to develop her talents, skills and confidence. Students are based according to their year level in the dedicated Year 11 and 12 Centre, or brand new Year 10 Centre.
Through guided research, individual consultation with staff and study skills advice, the girls gain independence in their learning, preparing them for tertiary study and the challenges of a future career.
Our range of co-curricular activities adds richness to the senior experience and encourages the social development of the students. Outstanding facilities support the diverse academic program and global awareness is encouraged through the International Exchanges and Tours.
The Senior School offers a diverse range of subjects and pathways to meet the needs of each student.
Many Year 11 students include a VCE Units 3 and 4 sequence in their program and an acceleration pathway in Mathematics begins in Year 9. At Years 11 and 12, there are also opportunities to take VET modules and first year university enhancement subjects.
The VCE results at Strathcona are consistently outstanding. Each year the top achievers obtain ATARs over 99 and over 40% of students achieve ATARs in the top 10% of the State. Students undertake a wide range of tertiary courses, the majority gaining entry to Melbourne, Monash and Deakin universities.
At the senior level all our girls are encouraged to:
- think critically
- think creatively
- develop global awareness
- work cooperatively
- establish skills for lifelong learning.
Although we encourage academic achievement of the highest possible standard, we also advocate balance through the overall program. Senior students maintain an understanding of:
- the importance of developing a wide range of skills
- being an involved member of the School community
- contributing to the School
- maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
VCE Curriculum Handbook
Find out more about the courses students study and the resources available to assist them as they develop into resilient, mindful and confident young women, engaging fully and responsibly in the society in which they live.
Strathcona takes great pride in the personal care of students and its encouragement of well-balanced personal relationships.
Students at the senior level receive a range of support that includes the following:
- Year Coordinators support and assist students in their progress towards achieving their academic and personal goals.
- Form Tutors provide further support to the students.
- Our School Counsellor, a trained psychologist, provides counselling for students and parents when needed.
- Our Chaplain is also available to all within our School community.
Spiritual development and social responsibility are encouraged through:
- Christian Education classes in Years 10 and 11
- Personal Development Forums
- the Liberal Studies Program in Year 12
- extensive Community Service activities.
Leadership opportunities are a vital part of preparation for the future and are provided through the various cross-age programs.
Opportunities for Year 10 students include:
- Form and Year Level activity responsibilities
- Management responsibilities for the Years 7 and 8 drama production.
Opportunities for Year 11 students include:
- Peer Support
- Big Sister/Little Sister programs with Year 7 and Prep to Year 2 classes
- Leading the Years 8 and 9 Drama productions.
Year 12 students are considered leaders of the School. Many take on particular leadership responsibilities in areas such as:
- House activities
- Public Speaking
- Social Service
- Open Days
- Information Services
- International Student support.
Career Planning Support
We encourage students to plan a VCE course around their career interest areas and personal strengths. They are also made aware of the requirements for entry into tertiary institutions when making subject choices for VCE.
There are a number of resources available at Strathcona to support these decisions, including the Career Website on the Strathcona Learning Management System, Careers Testing, a well-resourced Careers Room and individual advice from the Careers Advisor.
These resources have been designed to ensure that our girls are made fully aware of the options they need to consider when planning their future study or career directions.
Year 10 Studies
- Mathematics (Core)
- Mathematical Methods
- Foundation Mathematics
- Science (Core)
- Science (Foundation)
- Christian Education
- My Future Program
- Physical Education
- Geography (Note: girls choose 1 of these 3)
- International Issues
- People and Places
- Resource Management
- The Modern World and Australia
- Visual Communication and Design
- Confident Performance
- Dollars and Sense (Economics/Personal Finance/Enterprise)
- Powerful People (Government/Politics/Law)
- Stagecraft and Performance
- The Actor
- Information Technology
- Lights, Camera, Action
- Web Design
- Mandarin Chinese
- Music: History and Styles
- Sports Science
- Food and Technology Studies
- Essential Ingredients
- Contemporary Food
- Food and Technology
- Global Politics
- Health and Human Development
- History: 20th Century
- History: Australian
- History: Revolutions
- Legal Studies
- LOTE French
- LOTE Italian
- LOTE Chinese
- Mathematics, Further
- Mathematics, General
- Mathematics, Methods
- Mathematics, Specialist
- Music Performance
- Physical Education
- Theatre Studies
- VCE Computing
- Visual Communication and Design
* University enhancement subjects also available.